Best practice to keep PVE host up-to-date without rebooting?

Tony

Renowned Member
Nov 4, 2010
Hi,

what is the recommended way to keep PVE nodes up-to-dated? For now I do manually

Code:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

which I don't mind too much, except that sometime the kernel is updated and hence I do a reboot, just to be on the safe side. But I'd prefer to avoid rebooting the nodes unless it's absolutely necessary.

How about holding the kernel package from updating once the node has been configured and runs as expected?

Regards,
Tony

Last edited:
Hi,

which I don't mind too much, except that sometime the kernel is updated and hence I do a reboot, just to be on the safe side
On Proxmox VE (and also on Debian) this isn't necessary from a technical POV. We ensure that we ship a different named kernel package if the ABI actually changes which is checked automatically after each kernel build.
That way the compatible modules from the running kernel are still kept and can always get loaded. This is not the same in some other Distros, like for example Arch Linux, which just does not care about that (as its extra work and their user basis mostly doesn't care either) and overwrites all data from the running kernel with the newer one, which means then that loading not yet loaded modules may fail after an update on such systems. With PVE that cannot happen.

How about holding the kernel package from updating once the node has been configured and runs as expected?
For PVE not a hard necessity, while you should reboot into the newer kernel rather sooner than later that is for getting any security/bug fix applied, not from a "I may run into bad things due to newer kernel installed" POV (see above).

Reactions: Tony
Hi,

On Proxmox VE (and also on Debian) this isn't necessary from a technical POV. We ensure that we ship a different named kernel package if the ABI actually changes which is checked automatically after each kernel build.
That way the compatible modules from the running kernel are still kept and can always get loaded. This is not the same in some other Distros, like for example Arch Linux, which just does not care about that (as its extra work and their user basis mostly doesn't care either) and overwrites all data from the running kernel with the newer one, which means then that loading not yet loaded modules may fail after an update on such systems. With PVE that cannot happen.

For PVE not a hard necessity, while you should reboot into the newer kernel rather sooner than later that is for getting any security/bug fix applied, not from a "I may run into bad things due to newer kernel installed" POV (see above).

thank you for the great reply; just the best one can hope for.

Regards,
Tony

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!