Best practice question: Mount NFS volumes on the host, or in containers?

Blazemonkey

Nov 10, 2016
I'm still running PVE 3.2 because my needs are simple, it works, and I'm lazy. I'm running nas4free on dedicated hardware with 6 disks in raidz2 and I have PVE accessing that storage via NFS over 1gbps ethernet.

I currently have several ovz containers accessing the NFS volume with mountpoints set in fstab in each container and FEATURES="nfs: on" in /etc/vz/conf/101.conf.

I've been considering mounting the NFS volume on the PVE host, either thru fstab, or on the "storage" page in the PVE datacenter, then exposing it to the containers using mount -n --bind.. in /etc/vz/conf/101.conf.

Either option seems to work as well, but I'm wondering which way is best. A few of the containers do interact quite heavily with the NFS volume, so performance is important but data integrity/issues is even more so. If there's a better way of doing things altogether, I'm all ears. :D

Reactions: n1ete

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!