Best practice for Windows Server file server?

markurian

Aug 21, 2020
Hey all,

I was recently told that having a 4TB qcows2 image is not a good idea, but now I'm kinda stumped as to how else I am meant to have a windows file server configured on proxmox, where it can allow large volumes of files?

Every single result for "Proxmox windows file server" comes up with running samba on the proxmox host itself, and not via a windows file server.

It has to be a file server due to the architecture of everything in use, so simply swapping isn't on the cards.

cheers

Every single result for "Proxmox windows file server" comes up with running samba on the proxmox host itself, and not via a windows file server.

Hi,

I guess, because most of the users do not want to waste their time, money and hw resources for a Windows File Server.

Also I do not know any technical reson for not using samba server. All of your users(and my users also) do not care what file server is in use. Do you care what kind of brake system have on your car?

Samba server is a kind of setup and forget.

Indeed a bigger raw vdisk is not so good. Why do you not use a a zfs zvol ?

Good luck / Bafta !

We have some OMV as windows file server,and one Windows file server as it is(virtualized from physical machine). Whatever rocks your boat.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!