[SOLVED] Best practice for shares

Deft1

Jan 8, 2023
Hello Everyone,

In my Proxmox server I have a SATA HDD with multimedia content.
I didn't created repository or filesystem in PVE and managed my drive via an OMV VM, because I didn't want pvestat to block spindown the hdd because it's not often used.
And I like the fact that I don't modify the PVE host so that if I change my server I just restore my CT/VM and all is done. No tricky files to modify.

So I have an OMV VM and I pass the disk through it via a one-line modification in the VM.conf (scsi1: ata-xxxx) and it works.
I also have a Plex CT and I want to access to the shares. I have done that in the past with a "mount" in the CT.
But I'm sure there's a better way... Because I lose performance to use network shares managed by OMV whereas my disk can be directly addressed by Plex.
My OMV VM is only used for SMB shares and I wonder if I'd better removing the OMV VM and managing the smb shares in the Plex CT (install samba and use cockpit for the GUI to explore and manage it - Yeah I'm a noob...).
But I want to add/modify content in the shares using my Windows explorer... So according to me I must use SMB shares.

So... Is it better, performance and simplicity wise, to manage the disk in PVE, disable pvestat for that disk to let it spindown after 15min ?
And how to manage the SMB shares ? Via proxmox and mount the shares in Plex CT ? Or manage SMB shares in the Plex CT ?

Can you advise me about the best practices, and clean way to do that for a noob like me ?
Thank you guys for the help and I apologise for my english :-/

Last edited:
Good morning,
Anyone interested in giving his opinion son that it can help me understand the best way to do that ?
Have a nice day

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!