Best Practice for first time setup of Data Stores

Mar 22, 2023
Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice regarding the initial setup of my drives, data stores.

In my system, I have an HBA with 6xWD Red drives and 2x500SSD that I plan to pass through (the HBA) to a TrueNas VM.

System is installed on 2x 120GB SSD (RAID 1) - Feel like I should avoid installing anything on it.

There is a 4TB NVME and 2 x 2TB NVME.

Considering making the 4TB the storage for a Windows VM. Can I pass this through to a VM and instal the VM on that? Any real performance benefit?

Then Raid 1 the 2x 2TB and use them as my storage for other VMs, Containers, etc.

Question, why does it look like I have 2 data stores after install? See pic :D

Suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.12.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.12.54 PM.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
yes and no
lets explain with an example
your local drive is 500 gb. proxmox uses lets say 150 gb for the own OS, which will be the drive "local", the rest of the drive, 350gb will be mounted as "local_zfs" in your case.

you can adjust the settings in the datacenter - storage options

you can see your locally config in the node - disk

Attachments

• 222.JPG
    222.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 3333.JPG
    3333.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: adresner
proxmox uses lets say 150 gb for the own OS, which will be the drive "local", the rest of the drive, 350gb will be mounted as "local_zfs" in your case.

This is only true with an installation on LVM, but not on ZFS, where local and local-zfs share the space of the whole disk.

"local" is storage for storing files. "local-zfs" is for storing virtual disks only (datasets for LXCs, zvols for VMs).

Reactions: adresner

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!