Best OS for LXC containers?

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by menathor, May 5, 2019.

1. menathor

menathor New Member

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about migrating from Xen and am about to start playing with Proxmox on my Hetzner cloud servers. I'll be mainly using LXC containers (mysql, nginx, wordpress and other web apps).

I'm just wondering which of your OS container images you would recommend for the best compatibility and smallest overhead? I don't really have a preference between Debian, ubuntu and CentOS so I'm happy to use whichever will give me the smoothest and most "bare-metal" like experience.

I was thinking that since Proxmox host machines use Debian, that also using Debian for containers makes the most sense. Would you agree?

Thanks!

2. LnxBil

LnxBil Well-Known Member

The smallest overhead in space and running processes will be Alpine Linux. On ZFS (compression in place) the default install is 3-4 MB.

Often these discussions came down to personal experience or historic reasons. I for myself use Debian for almost everything, just because I've used Debian for almost 20 years and I'm quite familiar with it.

3. dietmar

dietmar Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

Debian is always a good choice if you need a stable OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice