Best OS for LXC containers?

interstellar

May 5, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about migrating from Xen and am about to start playing with Proxmox on my Hetzner cloud servers. I'll be mainly using LXC containers (mysql, nginx, wordpress and other web apps).

I'm just wondering which of your OS container images you would recommend for the best compatibility and smallest overhead? I don't really have a preference between Debian, ubuntu and CentOS so I'm happy to use whichever will give me the smoothest and most "bare-metal" like experience.

I was thinking that since Proxmox host machines use Debian, that also using Debian for containers makes the most sense. Would you agree?

Thanks!

I'm just wondering which of your OS container images you would recommend for the best compatibility and smallest overhead? I don't really have a preference between Debian, ubuntu and CentOS so I'm happy to use whichever will give me the smoothest and most "bare-metal" like experience.

The smallest overhead in space and running processes will be Alpine Linux. On ZFS (compression in place) the default install is 3-4 MB.

I was thinking that since Proxmox host machines use Debian, that also using Debian for containers makes the most sense. Would you agree?

Often these discussions came down to personal experience or historic reasons. I for myself use Debian for almost everything, just because I've used Debian for almost 20 years and I'm quite familiar with it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!