Best method to share ZFS / ZVOL from one PVE to a Windows server VM on different standalone PVE?

jaysol

Jul 30, 2019
I have an environment like this...

PVE-Standalone1:
Hosts several linux VM's. These VM's have their storage on a mirrored pair of SSD's. There is also a DAS shelf connected to this server (PVE-Standalone1) that I would like to set up as ZFS and share the pools or zvols with with PVE-Standalone2 somehow. (iscsi? nfs?).

PVE-Standalone2:
This PVE server hosts two Win Server 2k19 installations. Would like to connect the DAS from PVE-Standalone1 to these windows clients somehow.

Any suggestions for best approach to doing this? Unfortunately I can't just move the DAS and connect to PVE-Standalone2.

Any suggestions for best approach to doing this? Unfortunately I can't just move the DAS and connect to PVE-Standalone2.

Depends on how you want to access it:
* iSCSI if it should be attached as a block storage (e.g. to format it with NTFS)
* NFS if you want to share just files

Both options are built in into ZFS, so it should be straight-forward to setup. NFS is explained in the manpage of zfs.

@fireon has created an article (in german) about this:
https://deepdoc.at/dokuwiki/doku.ph...lxc:proxmox_debian_als_iscsi_server_verwenden

Depends on how you want to access it:
* iSCSI if it should be attached as a block storage (e.g. to format it with NTFS)
* NFS if you want to share just files

Both options are built in into ZFS, so it should be straight-forward to setup. NFS is explained in the manpage of zfs.

@fireon has created an article (in german) about this:
https://deepdoc.at/dokuwiki/doku.ph...lxc:proxmox_debian_als_iscsi_server_verwenden

Hi Bill,

Based on you reply I dug around a little more.

I don't think shareiscsi is built into the ZFS used by proxmox unfortunately. Properties that allow you to set 'sharenfs' and 'sharesmb' exist though.

I've checked in both PVE 5.4-3 and 6.x.

I'll try to work through the german doc and see what's happening there.

I noticed for iscsi on debian there are several options, though can't really find much in terms of tested reviews or feedback from people using any of them with zfs (other than your link) and virtualization, so not sure what implementation of debian-based iscsi target I should attempt first.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!