Best data security option for installing Promox 7 for use 2 VMs

galvatec

Sep 1, 2021
Hello everyone ! I have a Dell T110 server with an Intel Xeon, 8Gb DDR3 and two 1TB hard drives each, so I ask what is the best way to make a RAID on these hard drives or another way to have data security.

I'm analyzing the possibility to install the system on a 1TB HD and insert the other HD as a directory in Proxmox and schedule for backups to be made on this 1TB HD, would it be a good idea?

hi,

so I ask what is the best way to make a RAID on these hard drives or another way to have data security.
are you planning to use hardware RAID?

I'm analyzing the possibility to install the system on a 1TB HD and insert the other HD as a directory in Proxmox and schedule for backups to be made on this 1TB HD, would it be a good idea?
that could work, but in that case you won't be able to have mirrored drives for redundancy (unless you add more drives later on).

how fast are the HDD drives you're using?

you'll have to decide which is more important for your use case, if you want redundancy then you can go for mirrored RAID drives. in that case you'll likely have 1TB only.
otherwise you can avoid RAID and just use the drives regularly if you want more space.

#oguz Thanks for the answer ! The HDS are normal between 7200RPM and redundancy is the most important, I also analyzed the possibility of installing vo proxmox using ZFS RAID1 placing creating a pool right after installation, in this case I found that a procedure is needed, which I think is a little complicated, to replace one of the HDs if it is defective, I verified that zpool replace is used with some other parameters, how much to use ZFS RAID1 what do you say?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!