[SOLVED] Best configuration for this server

jcesclapez

Mar 2, 2021
What is the best storage configuration for this server?

CPU
Intel® Xeon® W-2145 Octa-Core Skylake
RAM
128 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
Drives
10 x 16 TB Enterprise HDD, 2 x 960 GB datacenter NVMe SSD

My idea is make a raidz-2 10 x 16TB + two partition of nvme for special device. Is recommended add another partiton for zil/log?

For OS can make two mdam partition on each nvme? Or better raid1 zfs? I was having some troubles when os and swap was intalled with it.

Pd: I can´t modify the storage configuration, can´t replace or add any disk.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hmm, considering that 16TB disks will need a while to resilver, I would either go ahead with a RAIDz3 or 2x raidz2. To decrease the likelihood that another disk fails during the longer resilver.

Regarding the 2 NVMEs. If you cannot add any more disks, you can use the installer to create a mirrored ZFS pool for the OS. You can specify how much space should be left empty on the disk. So if you consider about 100 to 200GB for the OS to be on the safe side, you should have enough left for the special device. In the empty space you will have to create additional partitions and specify them when you create the pool and the mirrored special device.

How much that will affect performance I cannot say, but in these conditions probably the best.

Reactions: jcesclapez
Hmm, considering that 16TB disks will need a while to resilver, I would either go ahead with a RAIDz3 or 2x raidz2. To decrease the likelihood that another disk fails during the longer resilver.

Regarding the 2 NVMEs. If you cannot add any more disks, you can use the installer to create a mirrored ZFS pool for the OS. You can specify how much space should be left empty on the disk. So if you consider about 100 to 200GB for the OS to be on the safe side, you should have enough left for the special device. In the empty space you will have to create additional partitions and specify them when you create the pool and the mirrored special device.

How much that will affect performance I cannot say, but in these conditions probably the best.
Thanks for reply.

I´ll go for it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!