best backup solution

diceair

Mar 18, 2013
Hi there.

Want to hear from the community and the Proxmox guys what is the best solution for my backups. I have 3 and maybe 5 virtual machines in the future. Currently this is my setup.

Backup server with raid 1(2x2TB HDD)
Proxmox Server with 2x2TB and 1x250GB. Xeon Processor and 32GB RAM
Server 2008 SBS (biggest server), Server 2008 R2 and server 2012

I use one of the 2tb for my Virtual machines and the other 2TB for hot spare. I have no raid controller at the moment. The Data on the virtual machines is not that critical so I don't feel the need for a raid controller or any raid at the moment. My plan is to do a daily full backup. I've tried some custom addon that allowed me to do differential backup but that doesn't work properly cause it takes ages to do 80GB-100GB backup.

For my Backup of the critical files inside windows I use Acronis True image home and that is working really well.

So do I need to do daily backups or do you guys think I should do a backup every Friday and then just the normal Acronis during the week or what? The SBS server 2012 in a full backup is about 250GB-300GB and the rest is aout 30GB-60GB.

I'm also trying to do a off site backup. Please guide me through the solution.

Virtual machines is stored as KVM RAW format

Last edited:
Never do posts without providing any content.

Instead, think about why no one answer to your question. As this is a Proxmox VE forum and your question is not really a Proxmox VE installation or configuration questions, its a general server administration question.

Documentation about the integrated backup, see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Backup_and_Restore

Never do posts without providing any content.

Instead, think about why no one answer to your question. As this is a Proxmox VE forum and your question is not really a Proxmox VE installation or configuration questions, its a general server administration question.

Documentation about the integrated backup, see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Backup_and_Restore

Ok. I thought maybe someone will give me advice on how to speed up the backups. Everything seems fine. sorted out a solution by adding a 2TB for daily backups on the local server and then just backup to the backup server over weekends

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!