Best approach to encryption?

proxfire44

Nov 15, 2017
I am setting up a personal Proxmox server. I would like some protection against physical threats. Because I am relatively inexperienced with Proxmox and server administration in general, and because Proxmox seems not to have official support for (or decent documentation of) encryption, I would like to use an approach that is as uncomplicated, and well supported by Proxmox as possible. Ideally I'd like something that--once configured--doesn't complicate or change Proxmox administration, backups, or recovery.

My primary goal is to protect data-at-rest, secondary goal is to prevent tampering with the OS and/or bootloader/early boot process. My ideal solution is one that doesn't break anything in Proxmox, doesn't require diverging significantly from a typical unencrypted install, and doesn't change the workflow/system administration (most importantly it shouldn't make backup/restore excessively complicated). Bonus points if the TPM can be used for unlocking, or if that is not practical some other form of passwordless or remote authentication.

My setup--if it matters--will be a single node, mirrored nvmes for boot and probably VM/CT storage, and an additional ssd for auxiliary storage. It is probable that I will eventually add a Proxmox Backup Server for backups, and mildly possible that I might someday want to add a second Proxmox node.

Options I've identified so far:
  1. Use ZFS Native Encryption (for example)
  2. Use LUKS, with ZFS inside LUKS
  3. Use "self encrypting drives" (e.g. the TCG Opal spec that most modern drives support)
  4. Give up on encrypting the host/proxmox, and instead encrypt the guest OSes individually (or place all VMs/CTs on a separate encrypted drive)
  5. Give up on encryption altogether and instead focus on some other form of physical security/access prevention.
  6. Something else?
I am looking for guidance from those with more expertise, or those who have gone down this path already. Of these options (or any others) what do you think would best fit my needs (specifically with regard to being the least complex/least likely to conflict with Proxmox)

1 + 5 without the "give up" part. For best security, I'd recommend no TPM
Thanks for the input. Do you have experience with #1 (Use ZFS Native Encryption)? I'm interested ot know how it affects the Proxmox Workflow and your own. Does it complicate or conflict with any aspects of managing your server, backups, etc, in your experience? Particularly has it broken any Proxmox features/functionality for you?

just type it in EVERY TIME.
Unfortunately I won't always be geographically close to the server. I'm currently testing a method of entering the decryption password over SSH. I'd prefer to utilize the TPM if I could, but if I can't find a straightforward way to do that, password based authentication over SSH would be OK.

Do you have experience with #1 (Use ZFS Native Encryption)? I'm interested ot know how it affects the Proxmox Workflow and your own.
Yes, I'm running it on multiple systems. On the 24/7 systems, I automatically unlock the pool after a reboot via an icinga action (external monitoring).

Does it complicate or conflict with any aspects of managing your server, backups, etc, in your experience?
No, it's transparent in the background.

Unfortunately I won't always be geographically close to the server. I'm currently testing a method of entering the decryption password over SSH. I'd prefer to utilize the TPM if I could, but if I can't find a straightforward way to do that, password based authentication over SSH would be OK.
Yes, that's what I do with the icinga action. The icinga server is geographically different.

Reactions: proxfire44
zfs send/receive
I see that the Proxmox doc's for ZFS Native encryption have a warning:

"Native ZFS encryption in Proxmox VE is experimental. Known limitations and issues include Replication with encrypted datasets [3], as well as checksum errors when using Snapshots or ZVOLs. [4]"
Is this something you have run into when using zfs send/receive or snapshots?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!