Benefits of using uefi intallation for prox instead of bios

ieronymous

Apr 1, 2019
Hi
Even though until now all the prox installations have been done in uefi mode I am not really sure what is the benefit of that. On the contrary needs more work when you have set prox in mirror zfs mode and also needs to alter different paths during passthrough configuration for instance.

What are you thoughts? Is there really any benefit using uefi for installation?

ps I know that soft-tech moves to uefi and bios tends to be absolute in the following years

Last edited:
Besides a few changes in how things are set up and where you need to place config cmdline settings, the main big advantage, and why there is a difference at all, is if you install Proxmox VE on a ZFS root pool. In this situation you will definitely want to use UEFI and not Grub. As Grub only supports a very small subset of ZFS features. Using UEFI in combination with the proxmox-boot-tool to keep all the EFI partitions on the boot disks in sync gives you the chance to enable the new ZFS features without having to worry about a system that won't boot anymore.

For those who want more background information, check out the documentation: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot

Besides a few changes in how things are set up and where you need to place config cmdline settings, the main big advantage, and why there is a difference at all, is if you install Proxmox VE on a ZFS root pool. In this situation you will definitely want to use UEFI and not Grub. As Grub only supports a very small subset of ZFS features. Using UEFI in combination with the proxmox-boot-tool to keep all the EFI partitions on the boot disks in sync gives you the chance to enable the new ZFS features without having to worry about a system that won't boot anymore.

For those who want more background information, check out the documentation: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot
Since I always have the installation on a zfs pool that is a nice thing to have in mind. Of course doesn t take away the headache when you need to replace a disk with a new one in a zfs raid. First you need to make the partitions exact the same (I think there are three) then resilver the correct partition and sync the boot partition.

Since I always have the installation on a zfs pool that is a nice thing to have in mind. Of course doesn t take away the headache when you need to replace a disk with a new one in a zfs raid. First you need to make the partitions exact the same (I think there are three) then resilver the correct partition and sync the boot partition.
If the disks are exactly the same size or larger, that is done quite easily though. There is a chapter in the Proxmox VE admin guide going through exactly this scenario. Search for "Changing a failed bootable device": https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_zfs_administration

If the disks are exactly the same size or larger, that is done quite easily though. There is a chapter in the Proxmox VE admin guide going through exactly this scenario. Search for "Changing a failed bootable device": https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_zfs_administration
Thanks for the link even though I have already read it and tested it in a simulation of a failed disk. Still it requires enough steps to say that it is a one command process which makes you feel comfortable with.

bios,firmware,ipmi update through uefi with https://fwupd.org/

(a lot of manufacters already support it)

Code:
apt install fwupd
fwupdmgr refresh
fwupdmgr update
By the way do you know a work around for WARNING: UEFI capsule updates not available or enabled in firmware setup while running fwupdmgr refresh

PS Probably needs a new server / pc in order for fwupd to work since I used it in 4 systems with no results. So it is not a big benefit to make someone use uefi.

By the way do you know a work around for WARNING: UEFI capsule updates not available or enabled in firmware setup while running fwupdmgr refresh

PS Probably needs a new server / pc in order for fwupd to work since I used it in 4 systems with no results. So it is not a big benefit to make someone use uefi.
you also need to install "udisks2" package since bullseye to correctly find the uefi partition.

I'm using it on my lenovo servers, and I have already updated bios, nvme disk firmware, bmc firmware

you also need to install "udisks2" package since bullseye to correctly find the uefi partition.

I'm using it on my lenovo servers, and I have already updated bios, nvme disk firmware, bmc firmware
udisks2 is already the newest version (2.9.2-2).
udisks2 set to manually installed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!