[Beginner] Seeking Advice for Configuration

Roberto24

Jul 23, 2024
Hi everyone,
I'm seeking for advice/help with my current configuration: I have successfully set up proxmox VE 8.2.4 on my homeserver, I installed the system on a dedicated system-HDD and I'm running a Openmediavault (OMV) VM on it. My data is stored on a separate data-HDD with a passthrough to the OMV VM , everything is working fine so far.

My questions:
- Can I also use some of the remaining space (>150 GB) on my system drive for storing data and using it as shared SMB folder in my OMV NAS? What do I need to do to make this free disk space available (repartitioning ?) with keeping my installed configuration (Proxmox VE and my VMs) untouched - I do not want to build it new from scratch
- Once that's done, can I just set a mountpoint to the system-HDD, just like I would do it with a mountpoint on the data-HDD ?

- As a next step I would like to install a PLEX LXC for accessing movies and shows thtat are currently stored on a USB HDD. I know how to passthrough the USB HDD, but do I acutally need to keep the USB drive attached to my homeserver all the time to watch a movie every now and then - this seems to me like an unneccessary energy consumption. Which alternatives do I have (keeping the USB HDD mounted but simply detach it / power it off after exiting the Plex LXC and power it on again before opening Plex next time?) would this work or will it cause problems?
I read somewhere that AutoFS might be a good option, but I know nothing about it / how this needs to be set up..

Thank you !

Last edited:
Hi , too bad , I recieved no replies so far .. is my question not clear enough / do you need more information?
Some guidance / help would be highly appreciated..

I'm a beginner in proxmox and virtualization so please apologize me when I'm asking some questions here that you might find obvious.
Thank you for your help & advice !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!