beginner question regarding PBS sync jobs.

tlex

Mar 9, 2021
So I've setup a local pbs server at home (pbs1) where my main proxmox setup is (pve1) and a remote one offsite (pbs2) on (pve2).
I created a sync job to replicate backups from pbs1 to pbs2 and that works great.

Now my question is :
In the case I want to do a disaster recovery, involving rebuilding my home (pve1) installation from scratch, is there any way to add the datastore from (pbs2) (having all the vm and ct from the sync job) to my rebuild of (pve1) ? In other word what would be the recovery path in order to recover my vm and ct from a sync backup storage to a new pve installation ?
I'm a bit confused since I tried a few things without success like trying to mount the datastore disk (from pbs2) containing the sync to a new pbs installation -> I could see all the vm and ct (after adding the datastore to /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg) but I couldn't see how to restore them to a pve instance.

Any help or guides on that ?

Last edited:
Did you try just to add your second PBS as a second "PBS" storage to your PVE node? Then you could backup to your pbs1 and restore from your pbs1 or pbs2.

Not 100% sure but I think when syncing from Pbs1 to pbs2 it is pulled with the sync job setup on pbs2 to replicate the contents of pbs1.
If you have your PBS1 syncing with your PBS2, then it should be a reverse setup. Use your local PBS1 to pull from your from your PBS1 after you set it up.
If you want to transfer faster, maybe you could take your drive from PBS2 and plug it into PBS1 and edit the edit /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg with the storage.
You probably need a backup of the encryption key if you used encryption when backing up your VMs and CTs.

Not 100% sure but I think when syncing from Pbs1 to pbs2 it is pulled with the sync job setup on pbs2 to replicate the contents of pbs1.
If you have your PBS1 syncing with your PBS2, then it should be a reverse setup. Use your local PBS1 to pull from your from your PBS1 after you set it up.
If you want to transfer faster, maybe you could take your drive from PBS2 and plug it into PBS1 and edit the edit /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg with the storage.
You probably need a backup of the encryption key if you used encryption when backing up your VMs and CTs.
Thats what I was planning to do in the end :) thanks.
I just wanted to document it so that I wont scratch my head when this scenario happens.
I also like the idea of having a usb disk attached to my pbs1 or 2 instance and create a localhost sync job to it, then detach the disk put it off-site as a 3rd backup recovery path...
That way if pve breaks, I rebuild a new one, create a new pbs vm on it, attach the usb disk and recover. I just wished there would be easier way for doing that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!