beelink X55 - Install won't start!

mdurkin

Jul 30, 2014
Hi All,
I am trying to install proxmox, but can't even get the installer to start. I've downloaded the install ISO and burned to USB with etcher. When I boot from USB, all I get is a black screen with a white underscore.
I've tried:
different burn programs - same results, including the other recommended one.
burn to DVD and boot from DVD drive - same again
older ISO image - same again
booting Ubuntu installer from same USB stick - no problems at all, goes straight into the installer.
booting windows 10 install from same USB stick - no problem.

I've ready a few others having issues with the install but none like this.
The PC i'm installing on is a beelink X55 (Pentium silver mini pc). So I know the hardware might be uncommon, but it's not having any problems with windows or Ubuntu install usb images.

If anyone has seen this before or has any suggestions I'd really appreciate help!
Thanks,
Matt

Just tested a popular commercial hypervisor install iso via USB, boots no problem.
It does appear that the proxmox iso is, well, a bit picky.
Any suggestions appreciated as I really wanted to use proxmox!!

Does the boot loader show up?

pve-grub-menu.png

Secure boot is off, the BIOS doesn't have a legacy mode. I've tried everything I can find in the BIOS with no luck.
Won't boot off sd card, tried that.

As I say, it doesn't seem to have any problem booting other os installers.

If possible get a CD/DVD drive and use thay. I have a supermicro box that will not boot of a sub as well.
Yes any other os works. Windows works. Ubuntu and debian works.
But proxmox will not boot of usb.
Usb DVD works well.

Try it if you can.

If possible get a CD/DVD drive and use thay. I have a supermicro box that will not boot of a sub as well.
Yes any other os works. Windows works. Ubuntu and debian works.
But proxmox will not boot of usb.
Usb DVD works well.

Try it if you can.
I mentioned I have tried this in my first post - I was convinced that would work, but alas no!

Try searching the forum for uefi install. Therr is a thread describing a workaround for people having issues instaling with uefi bios.
It is a convoluted process though. Maybe gojng the Debian to Proxmox is a simpler way.

Try searching the forum for uefi install. Therr is a thread describing a workaround for people having issues instaling with uefi bios.
It is a convoluted process though. Maybe gojng the Debian to Proxmox is a simpler way.
Tried Debian install - that has the same problems.

can't find that post either. so unfortunately I'm a bit stuck. really frustrating...

What kind of storage has the box, probably something M.2 based? Can you plug it into another computer and install there?
Hmm, maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens post install. I don't think I have a convenient way of doing it elsewhere either. Although I might be able to install to a usb flash drive elsewhere and move that and see if it boots... Something for me to think about!

Hmm, maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens post install.

Normally, you have syslinux (isolinux) as a bootloader on the optical drive and grub on disk, so this could be different (no promises).

What about netboot, do you have such infrastructure available?

Normally, you have syslinux (isolinux) as a bootloader on the optical drive and grub on disk, so this could be different (no promises).

What about netboot, do you have such infrastructure available?

So I ran the install on another computer onto a USB stick. Insert that working installation into the Beelink Gemini X55 I'm trying to run it on and exactly the same - black screen with white underscore.
So it looks like the installer and installed OS do the same thing at boot time.

So I'm still stuck!
Any more ideas?

Try interupt the boot on blue screen and select an older kernel under advanced option if available.
I currently have similar issue on my supermicro setup and I can only boot it using 4.17 kernel

Any .18 option gose into black screen with white cursor blinking.

Or better yet.
Get an older install and try that. Maybe 5.0 or 5.1

Try interupt the boot on blue screen and select an older kernel under advanced option if available.
I currently have similar issue on my supermicro setup and I can only boot it using 4.17 kernel

Any .18 option gose into black screen with white cursor blinking.

Or better yet.
Get an older install and try that. Maybe 5.0 or 5.1

I don't get that far unfortunately. Before any menu options at all, I just go straight to a black screen and static cursor. Whatever mechanism starts and presents the usual menu, it just doesn't get that far.
I should have mentioned, I already tried an older install, same problem!

Last edited:
I don't get that far unfortunately. Before any menu options at all, I just go straight to a black screen and static cursor. Whatever mechanism starts and presents the usual menu, it just doesn't get that far.
I should have mentioned, I already tried an older install, same problem!

Hmm, after a bit of research, there seems more people to have problems on this PC/board with Debian (and Proxmox VE's root is Debian).
Out of interest, could you try a newer Debian Testing (Buster) netinst image? A daily generated one could be found at: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/iso-cd/
It has a newer kernel and bootloader version than Debian stable (Stretch), possibly including more workarounds for certain hardware, so maybe worth a shot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!