[SOLVED] Bash script to start stop based on status - Crontab

turk00111

Mar 24, 2024
Hello,

I am trying to start/stop vm's based off status of other VM's. However, I am unable to get the script to work.

Here is my bash script:

Bash:
#!/bin/bash

if [ "$(qm status 107)" != "status: running" ]; then
    /usr/sbin/qm start 107
    /usr/sbin/qm shutdown 106
fi

Cron tab:

* * * * * /bin/bash /var/scripts/checkvm.sh

When I run this via the shell it works just fine and reports the correct status. When it is ran via crontab it does not report the qm status 107 correctly. When I echo and output to a file it is blank and does not have "status: running".

I am hoping someone on this forum may know what I am doing wrong and help pulling the correct status to be used in a script.

Last edited:
You are correctly using absolute paths inside IF, but for some reason not in IF condition.
Cron does not load user variables so it has no PATH.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Yes, I tried it with the absolute path before but it didn't work. However it wouldn't work.

I just got it working and typing out what I did. Your comment led me to the idea.

I just solved this thanks to bbgeek17. Thank you again!

here is my working bash file.

Bash:
#!/bin/bash

vm107=`/usr/sbin/qm status 107`

if [ "$vm107" != "status: running" ]; then
    /usr/sbin/qm start 107
    /usr/sbin/qm shutdown 106
fi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!