[SOLVED] Base Volume not displayed when adding LVM on ISCSI

atinazzi

Mar 15, 2010
Hi I am testing Proxmox 6.1.3. There are many similar threads but I could not find any with a valid solution. Even the one tagged as SOLVED are actually not solved.
I hope some Proxmox expert could solve this mystery once and for all.

I am trying to configure an ISCSI target. I add the ISCSI target via web interface, once entered the portal IP the target is automatically located.
Then, when I try to add the LVM on ISCSI, selecting the ISCSI target that was just added as base storage, no base volume is displayed.
The Base Volume drop down should contain an entry such as "CH 00 ID 0 LUN 0" but instead is empty. Why?
Many people seems to have the same issue but nobody seems to be able to provide a solution.

Screenshot from 2020-04-03 01-18-02.png

Last edited:
Reactions: aasami
do you have created a lun on your iscsi server?

what does
Code:
iscsiadm --mode discovery --type sendtargets --portal <ip-of-your-iscsi-server>
say?

# iscsiadm --mode discovery --type sendtargets --portal 172.16.16.16
172.16.16.16:3260,1 iqn.2013-07.au.net.ehss:NAS01.lun01
[fe80::211:32ff:fe1f:8b25]:3260,1 iqn.2013-07.au.net.ehss:NAS01.lun01

I just tried reinstalling Proxmox (6.1-3) from scratch.
When add ISCSI via web interface i get an 'operation timeout' error. However, if I reload the storage page (via web GUI) the ISCSI LUN is actually there.

I am still unable to add LVM on my ISCSI LUN

The ISCSI is on a Synology SAN

I have no ptoblem mapping ISCSI and create LVM to the same Synology SAN with Proxmox 3.4-16

I never had this problem with any previous version of Proxmox... Maybe version 6 is not ready for prime time yet.
I will start over again with version 5... just to test.

Started over. Installed 5.4 from ISO, no updates.
It works! No problem adding the LVM on ISCSI. Base Volume is now visible.
Problem solved (by myself): DO NOT USE PVE 6.x if you use ISCSI on an external disk unit. It is buggy!!!

Screenshot from 2020-04-05 11-49-02.png

I have tried the same with latest updates and it surely isn't fixed in pve-storage 6.1-6.
Using pve-storage 6.1-8 the issue is still there. Even the workaround mentioned in bugzilla doesn't work.
Checking or unchecking the box "Use LUNs directly" has no effect and it won't show up in Base volume dropdown.
Any suggestion how to create LVM on iSCSI in PVE 6.2 either using GUI or CLI?

I have tried the same with latest updates and it surely isn't fixed in pve-storage 6.1-6.
Using pve-storage 6.1-8 the issue is still there. Even the workaround mentioned in bugzilla doesn't work.
Checking or unchecking the box "Use LUNs directly" has no effect and it won't show up in Base volume dropdown.
Any suggestion how to create LVM on iSCSI in PVE 6.2 either using GUI or CLI?
I have finaly found a solution here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!