Bad performance with Ubuntu or Linux Mint

aPollO

Renowned Member
Mar 6, 2014
Cottbus, Germany
Hi,

i tried to use Ubuntu 16.04 or Linux Mint 18.1. I set the "Display" setting in proxmox to "SPICE (qxl)". And i installed the spice-vdagent in the guest. The resolution resizing works very well in both guest. ! Yeahy this is new. In older Ubuntu releases it was somtimes very buggy.

But my problem ist that the performance is bad. Linux Mint says that Cinnamon runs in software rendering mode. Ubuntus unity says no 3d acceleration. The graphical environment is laggy and sometimes full of glitches. Is there any way to improve the performance? I have also windows guests and the performance in windows guests is much better then in ubuntu based guests.

This is the output of lspci -v for the vga card in the guest:
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Red Hat, Inc. QXL paravirtual graphic card (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc QEMU Virtual Machine
    Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 11
    Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Memory at fc470000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    I/O ports at e060 [size=32]
    Expansion ROM at fc460000 [disabled] [size=64K]
    Kernel driver in use: qxl
    Kernel modules: qxl

I dont have any video card installed on the physical hardware. Is this the reason for this bad performance? Its an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz processor on an Supermicro X10DRi. This is my testing environment. I plan to migrate from Xen and old VMWare Server to proxmox.

I hope i will get this running well, soon. Any hope?

Cheers

Thank you for your answer. Thats very pity. Cause we already have kernel 4.4 and qemu 2.7.
Is it possible to use virgl by adding some configuration by hand?

Or is there any other way to get a better graphic performance in guests?

Did you know if there is any plan to support VirGl / virtio-gpu in the near future? I read hier that this was planned in the past: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/qemu-2-6-spice-virgl-support-ogl-spice.25198/#post-126148

this is the last status i found "work is in progress".

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!