Backup

mundan101

Jul 14, 2018
Hello,

I am still learning Proxmox but I would like to do the following:

I have two SSDs which are not the same size hard drives.

I would like to have auto backup saved on a different hard drive instead of the local in case of proxmox failure for whatever reason. This way I can just restore the image easily and get everything back up.

Proxmox does see the secondary hard drive but when I try to setup the backup, it only shows the local.

How do I get the secondary HD recognized in Proxmox?

Also, anyone know how to get a offsite backup? I guess another layer of redundancy wouldn't hurt :)

Ty

First add your disk as storage. Then you have to add the 'VZDump backup file' content flag to your storage.

First add your disk as storage. Then you have to add the 'VZDump backup file' content flag to your storage.

So I created the drive as a LVM thin, where do I find the option to do that? I named it backup when I created it.

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 11.20.35 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 11.20.35 AM.png

Hi, LVM-Thin doesn't support backup files. See https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html for more information on which content is supported by the storages.
The easiest solution would probably be to create a directory and add that as 'directory storage'. Directory storage supports backups.

Hi, LVM-Thin doesn't support backup files. See https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html for more information on which content is supported by the storages.
The easiest solution would probably be to create a directory and add that as 'directory storage'. Directory storage supports backups.

ok.

When I try to create a directory it says no disk unused..

I assume I will have to delete the LVM thin created that will free up that HD....I can't find an option to delete it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!