Backup VMs with multiple VDs...

jaceqp

May 28, 2018
Here's one:
While there is a parameter for excluding VD from backup ("no backup") feels I miss something...
What if VM has multiple VD's - lets say 1st VD =vm OS (boot); 2nd VD= vm DATA
Now... How to perform a backup with OS-VD only lets say once a week, while performing full backups (or even better only DATA) each day?
I know that non-os VM backup is lets say... inconsistent (?) since restoring this backup won't create a working (bootable) VM anyway. Yet still I miss the selected VD's (only?) backups feature. I'm sure that it's possible to do VD backups manually somehow, but would be nice to have this feature fully implemented. Especially when there are already similar options like MOVING vd's etc. Why not some extras like: clone vd, copy and so on...

BTW: mind that I'm skipping 'snapshots' at this point.

Looking forward for some updates...

If I understand you correctly, you would like to select which disks of a guest you back up for each scheduled backup job? So you can have job A that backs up the first disk of a guest while job B will only back up the second disk of the guest?

I am afraid that is not possible. The property if a disk is to be included in a backup is a property of the disk and not the backup job.
You can check our bug tracker ( https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/ ) and create an enhancement request if you like. I am not sure though how feasible it would be to change how the backups work.

In the meantime, you can use a backup solution that works within the guest to accomplish what you want.

If I understand you correctly, you would like to select which disks of a guest you back up for each scheduled backup job? So you can have job A that backs up the first disk of a guest while job B will only back up the second disk of the guest?
Yes, that's pretty much what I'd like to do...
I think it would be nice to have some extra flexibility setting up backups. Also would be nice to choose VMs contents to restore...

In the meantime, you can use a backup solution that works within the guest to accomplish what you want.
Well, I guess it's the primary solution for now, doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to have that feature on the 'upper level' though...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!