[SOLVED] Backup VMs from filesystem

SunBlack

Jun 22, 2017
Hi all,

we have currently some hardware issues with out server (1 defect HDD and 1 HDD which only works for a limited time in a RAID5 :-/). Because of this the filesystem got some issues. Now I can login into the system via ssh, but the Web-GUI doesn't responds anymore. As I can still access the system via ssh: Which files I have to save to can restore the VMs later? (vzdump is not a real solution as the 1 HDD only works for a limited time, so I don't want have much write access on it).

Regards
SunBlack

That highly depends on the storage type.

Configs are located at /etc/pve/qemu-server.

If you have them on a directory storage, you will have raw or qcow files. If you run LVM or ZFS you will have to DD block devices to another machine / disk.

For ZFS: ZVOLs are located in /dev/zvol/<pool>/<optional dataset>/vm-<vmid>-disk-<disk #>
For LVM: /dev/mapper/pve--vm--<vmid>--disk--<disk #>

Remember that the latter two are block devices like for example /dev/sda so you will need to handle them like physical disks and use DD to copy that data to a disk or file.

Well thank you. Before I could store remaining VMs with DD the RAID destroyed itself completely be losing partition data. Nevertheless thank you :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!