Backup VM

Sc0rc3d

Oct 22, 2017
Hi Guys,

in my Proxmox-Host (80GB System Intel SSD + 2 x 512 GB Samsung SSD in Raid1 for VM Storage) are two 4 TB WD RED-Drives how i wannt to use for backup purposes. Currently I'm not sure what would be "the best way" to use the two hard drives. My Goal is to Backup my FreeNAS-Server (approximatel 2 TB of Data - family photos/Videos, Music, Documents etc.).

So i set up a "Ubuntu Server KVM" and now i am unsure hot to use the two 4 TB WD RED-Drives preferably. I think there are tow options:

First: Within the Proxmox base system, create a ZFS Mirror and give the Ubuntu Server (as a guest) access to this pool (but how it the best solution to do this if this option is a good way to handle it).

Second: Passthrough both WD-Drives and install ZFS in the UbuntuVM and Setup a ZFS-Mirror.

For Backup later i wannt so use borgbackup to pull the Data from a CIFS Share of my FreeNAS-Server.

what would you advise me?

Cheers
Sc0rc3d

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!