Backup VM with in-memory database (SAP HANA)

fr0x

Jan 7, 2022
Hi everybody,

I have shortly started to test proxmox and my goal would be to fully migrate all my vm`s from vmware. Setting up a cluster and running VMs, also the migration from existing VMs is going smooth and I'm happy about the great performance.

Currently I'm testing backups and restore, for that I installed also the backup server. "Normal" linux and windows server backups in snapshot mode are working fine, but I get problems to restore an in-memory database server (linux based), when the database is running during the backup, the database is broken in a restored VM. After some tests I figured out, that the restore works, if the VM is paused, or the database is stopped.

So two Questions:
1. Is is possible to pause a vm automaticially with a backup job?
2. Has anybody experience with in-memory databases and kvm based hypervisors in general and any recommendations about the backup?

Many thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!
fr0x

Welcome,
I am not sure if PBS/PVE can run a "Pre-Backup-Staging-Script" on its own, but you can create CRON-Job to freeze/pause the VM when Backup Time-Windows is nearing and continue after Backup has finished.... And yes, in-Memory-Databases are a bit tricky...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!