BACKUP VM BEST PRACTICE ??

MEYNIER

Feb 24, 2019
HI everyone
I am currently working on deploying a Proxmox Server that need to manage around 30 clients.
Each client got their own virtual bridge for segregation and got 1 Pfsense VM and 1 or more Windows server VM.
The VM are stock in ZFS pool (raidz2 of 8x6TB HD)
I got also another FREENAS SERVER with zpool (raidz2 of 8x8Tb HD)?

Currently i got only 6 Clients .

My question concerns the backup of the windows server

Currently i deploy :
- pve-zsync with sync every 15 minutes and 5 max sanpshot in order to solve the case of proxmox major issue .
- Proxmox backup using NFS share on FREENAS server that handle backup every night

The pve-zsync works gret but the issue i got is that the proxmox backup.

Indeed the job begin at 22h00 and finish at 07h00 currently and i fear that in few months it will take too long to be inside the night shift and will impact my clients.

What is the best practice concerning VM backup ?

I looked around in the web but didn't find so many clear information.

KR

Ok thanks it was my guess but prefer to ask in case i miss something

Have a good day

There are other options, but they need even more hardware:
Spread the load over different nodes in a cluster, so that you can backup in parallel (backup on a node is always sequential). With compression enabled your NFS can store the backup of multiple nodes at the same time. We can store multiple hundreds of MB/sec raw input over a 1 GBE connection to our NFS server. More than 3 TB of raw data is backupped in a few hours wall time.

Hi,

A simple trick - before start a backup for a VM, you could run inside a VM something as:

ls -alR /

and then start your backup. In this case the metadata will be in RAM/zfs-cache. So your backup will be finish in a shorter time(reading from RAM is faster then read from disks). This is more eficient if the VM have many many files.

Good luck / Bafta

Reactions: Mark Bajaj

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!