Backup virtual machines to wasabi.com

Hi,
Proxmox VE does not support Wasabi.
Maybe there is a Linux client who can mount it.
Then you can use it as Dir storage.

Yes, you can.
But be aware your VM can only write as fast your backup storage can write.

An alternative option is as follows:
1) Backup using vzbackup (Proxmox native) to local storage.
2) Create a LXC Container with READ ONLY* access to the backup location (by creating a bindmount)
3) Use Amazon's native tools for S3 sync and modify to use Wasabi (I've not done this but I think it is easy)

Keep in mind that I've had issues with this method. The load average skyrockets and swap gets completely used.
You can reduce this by restricting both the size of each chunk and the maximum backup speed. These can be configured in the S3 configuration file used by the S3 tools (same folder the credentials get written to if I remember correctly, but I may be wrong). Some experimentation may be required. If you actually want to use this method, let me know and I'll share my S3 sync configs.

* Obviously this won't allow you to restore. However, should the Container be compromised, you don't want your local backups to be deleted or modified. You can change this to ReadWrite in the event that you need to restore. Or you can just make it Read/Write from the start if you are confident your Container is never going to be compromised.

no, I don't recommend installing anything on the host. Do it all in a Container.

I'm using awscli (1) which allows me to synchronise, in a similar way as rsync, the backup files created by Proxmox using vzbackup.
The Container has access to these files using a bindmount.

Why not install awscli on the host itself? Because it uses all sorts of Python stuff. You don't want to be adding unexpected and potentially conflicting things to the host node. That's what Containers are for, after all.

(1) https://aws.amazon.com/cli/

Really thank you.
It's not possible to use bidmount with a windows virtual machine? i can't find any article , i use ARQ backup with mac workstation and would maintain the same standard to access the data from any platform easy

.... and I can mount a remote SMB/CIFS microsoft azure cloud and schedule a backup in the remote folder directly from proxmox cluster backup function?

no, I don't recommend installing anything on the host. Do it all in a Container.

I'm using awscli (1) which allows me to synchronise, in a similar way as rsync, the backup files created by Proxmox using vzbackup.
The Container has access to these files using a bindmount.

Why not install awscli on the host itself? Because it uses all sorts of Python stuff. You don't want to be adding unexpected and potentially conflicting things to the host node. That's what Containers are for, after all.

(1) https://aws.amazon.com/cli/

I have correctly setup a bind mount and the backup with Duplicati backup software.

It's dangerous to do the same on running machines?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!