Backup takes forever

ixproxmox

Renowned Member
Nov 25, 2015
Not Proxmox error directly, but I have a problem with a vm. I have a Kerio Mailserver Linux-software on it, with about 15 users, that I have had for years on dedicated hardware. Last year, I have had it in a lxc with redundant ssd on the host, server hw-card and enterprise SSD-disks. One day, a single user had problem logging in, but cpu, memory and every other aspect looked good. Other users had no problems. There had been a loop in the mail system (delivering - or trying to - deliver a high number of emails between the mailserver and another external server.

During trying to figure out how to solve it for this user, I figured out to create a new vm since the Kerio locked up all the time (only for this user). Then I found out I could never access this users inbox folder. If I tried to go into the mailbox folder for this particular user from shell, it just stood there for an hour and I never got to the content (if I specified a specific file by full name and didn't use auto-complete, it worked). Same happened with using tar or rsync to try to transfer the folder. So I reverted to a Proxmox backup instead (before the incident and lost quite a few mails) and after hours restoring to another host, it was ok and user could log in. Folder itself is about 4.4GB.

Now, the problem is that backup - both Kerios internal (basically a gzip of new/changes files) - and Proxmox - takes about 14 hours (lxc container). The disk size is 320 GB. Other vm with far larger disks takes 5 minutes. The backup of this machine seems to bring down several other machines and cause issues each day. As long as I exclude this machine from backup, all is good and all machines - including Kerio - works.

I assume all the issues are due to the massive amount of small files. I have switched the container to different Proxmox-server (to rule out local problem on the host-machine), but same slowness. After the restore, I can look into the folder with no issues and Kerio works perfectly. Now it is only backup of this machines that takes forever. Not only Proxmox-backup - even the internal Kerio backup. Kerio works faster when doing only changed files and does the job in 6-7-8 hours by now.

Here is last nights backup, after standing there for 4 hours the progress as pretty slim - it did complete another day, then it took about 14 hours and finished backup size was 185 GB (tar.zst).

INFO: Starting Backup of VM 115 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2020-10-08 06:10:33
INFO: status = running
INFO: CT Name: ***
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: found old vzdump snapshot (force removal)
Logical volume "snap_vm-115-disk-0_vzdump" successfully removed
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: create storage snapshot 'vzdump'
Logical volume "snap_vm-115-disk-0_vzdump" created.
INFO: creating vzdump archive '/mnt/pve/***/dump/vzdump-lxc-115-2020_10_08-06_10_33.tar.zst'

Any ideas on what I can do? Is there a OS-limit on number of files? I see Kerio store all inbox files in single folder per user.

Last edited:
Hi,
for containers PVE uses tar internally and with vast amounts of metadata, this might a while. Since you are using LVM-Thin, what you could try instead is backing up the container on the block level.

Code:
pct snapshot 115 backup
lvchange -ay -Ky pve/snap_vm-115-disk-0_backup
dd if=/dev/mapper/pve-snap_vm-115-disk-0_backup of=/path/where/to/save/block-level-backup
pct delsnapshot 115 backup

Note that the first and last step can also be done in the GUI.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!