Backup Synology NAS to PBS to Synology NAS

HolgerZ

Jun 27, 2023
Hi, I have a PBS running on a NUC that does Backups for a few VMs. It stores the Backups on a Synology 920+ NAS rotating Disk, which works very well for my needs.

On the NAS is the file storage on 2 SSDs too. Now I want to use PBS to Backup these Files too. I know it's not optimal, but for my needs it is more than sufficient.

Does anybody know or has tried already to install the PBS client directly on the NAS. It seems that it is a heavily modified Debian. As I'm relatively new to the Linux world and not very experienced, I would like to profit from others experiences - anybody? ;o)

Thnx
Holger

- why not use Synology HyperBackup tool on the NAS to backup the files?

- I have PBS running on my NAS as a vm, in Synology Virtual Machine Manager (you need some extra RAM memory for this)

On the NAS is the file storage on 2 SSDs too. Now I want to use PBS to Backup these Files too.
You want to read data from NAS/SSD by NUC/PBS and store it on the same NAS/HDD?

This might work. To backup "normal files" instead of the VMs from PVE you need a piece of software to talk to the PBS: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html

What kind of HDDs are installed? Single disk? Raiz5/Raid6? Several striped Raid1? As long as only HDDs are used you might experience "strange" errors after weeks/month of flawless usage. The number of chunks will increase and access times will get longer and longer - until they are long enough to produce time-outs on the PBS.

Been there, done that. On a not-so-old Synology. For my specific situation it was sufficient to support that rotating rust with some SSDs - but this was possible only because BTRFS on Synology allows writing Metadata and Cache to dedicated SSDs.

In essence: no, this (mine) is not a good construct. PBS is meant to be used with locally attached SSDs as the final data store for a reason --> https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#recommended-server-system-requirements

Good luck

The final storage should be the one hdd on the nas - it will be duplicated on a second nas in a different location. This should be Ok, as the recommendation says, if i use a cache for the meta data. I would like to try to use this on the local ssd. Actually I'm struggling with local-lvm on this disk, as it is using the whole disk, which is far too much and I need to shrink it

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!