Backup suddenly stopped working

Erwin123

May 14, 2008
On a node that has been running without problems suddenly the backup stopped working.

It backups to a connected USBdisk.
The disk is fine, I unmounted and mounted it.
It shows fine in df

I removed the disk from 'storage' in the mainnode and added it again.
No errors.

But nothing happens.
No backup.
No error from cron, no email from the backup.
Syslog shows nothing.
Totally dead.

I have no idea where to look, hopefully someone can put me on the right track.

Hi Erwin
I would look at the follwing two things:
* check again that the backup storage is available. Most backup problems come from the underlying storage.
You can do that with the cli with:
pvesm status
* if the storage is fine, you can try to execute the backup command manually

The crontab entry corresponding to the backup is in /etc/cron.d/vzdump and looks like this;

25 11 * * * root vzdump 102 100 103 --storage freenas --mailto e.kasper@proxmox.com --mailnotification always --compress lzo --quiet 1 --mode stop

Here the intersesting part starts at the vzdump work. You can copy this this line and try to execute it locally removing the mail notification settings so it would be

vzdump 102 100 103 --storage freenas --compress lzo --quiet 0 --mode stop

This should allow you to see what blocks the backup.

Hi Erwin,

> The problem seems the 497 days uptime bug that is fixed in newer versions.

How did you come to this conclusion ?

I know we unix admins are proud of our uptimes :) but nevertheless we should rather use the package manager and reboot the system if needed.
Hand editing our perl libray code is not what we can support.

Hi Manu,

I found several threads about this, that one led me on the right track:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/15341-Can-t-perform-backup

I found there was a bugfix:
https://goo.gl/uzfWIW

The forumthread speaks of also editing /usr/share/pve-manager/ext4/pvemanagerlib.js but in the other threads I found no mention of it.

I edited only Tools.pm and that solved it.

I understand you do not support editing files, outdated installs and can offer no guarantees but do you feel it is needed to also edit the pvemanagerlib.js?

I'm not a programmer, just try to keep the servers up in this reallife scenario ;)

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!