backup status mailings for "backup success" despite all jobs being set to "On Failure only"

Creat

Apr 16, 2021
Hi!
on my Proxmox VE 8.1.3 I started getting backup status mailings when I upgraded from 8.0.x to 8.1.x. Despite not changing any configurations related to backup or mailings. All 3 backup jobs are set to notify only "on failure only". Previeously I've never gotten a notification because no backup has failed (yet), but test notifications of course worked fine. I tried to set them to always and back to on failure only, didn't change anything. No idea where even to start looking for a cause honestly...

Thanks!

Thanks for the pointer.

I am somewhat confused why the option in the backup configuration is still there then? It seems to not do anything anymore (and frankly if it wasn't there, I'd have found the new notification system).

Unfortunately, this also complicated a rather simple task substantially. As far as I understand it, I have to disable the default-matcher, or it would send the mails for failed backups anyway. Since I can't reorder the rules, I assume every matcher is checked, always. That also means I can't define a "negative" matcher to not notify (also because I can't leave the targets empty.
So I have to create a second matcher for all things that aren't of type "vzdump". This has to be done in the configuration file directly, since the UI is inexplicably missing the option to "invert-match". I could make a (positive) list of all possible other notifications, as there seem to be only 4 anyway, but that would stop working when future types are introduced.

It also seems like there should be a notification for when package updates are available that should be caught by the default-matcher, but I've never received a notification for it.

Hi,
I am somewhat confused why the option in the backup configuration is still there then? It seems to not do anything anymore (and frankly if it wasn't there, I'd have found the new notification system).
you can still use the legacy notification system for backups. But you need to explicitly specify a mailto parameter on the CLI or the Send email tofield in the UI.

There is an open feature request to be able to configure the on-failure behavior with the new configuration system: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5081

It also seems like there should be a notification for when package updates are available that should be caught by the default-matcher, but I've never received a notification for it.
I think you need to configure this via /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg (from man 5 datacenter.cfg):
Code:
notify: [fencing=<always|never>] [,package-updates=<auto|always|never>] [,replication=<always|never>] [,target-fencing=<TARGET>] [,target-package-updates=<TARGET>] [,target-replication=<TARGET>]
           Cluster-wide notification settings.

package-updates=<always | auto | never> (default = auto)
               Control how often the daily update job should send out notifications:

•   auto daily for systems with a valid subscription, as those are assumed to be production-ready and thus should know about pending updates.

•   always every update, if there are new pending updates.

•   never never send a notification for new pending updates.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!