Backup speeds to an nfs remote storage

ieronymous

Apr 1, 2019
Hi

I was testing yesterday the intermediate truenas server between 2 nodes, since they now both have it as a remote storage. On truenas side, I used as a backup pool a set of 6 disks (sas3 hdd 2.5" 1.2tb /10k each) and set them as raidz2. On proxmox all vm's are on a raid 10 (striped mirrors - ok zfs doesn t have a direct raid 10 as many explain)
consisting of 4 drives. The connection between proxmox - truenas is a 10gbe direct connection, using that subnet only for backups and nothing else. Finally the share from truenas is exposed to both servers as NFS.
So what I noticed while I was doing a VM backup having selected the remote storage as a destination was low speeds that I can t explain. See pic attached below
backup bandwidth.jpg

When restoring the backup from truenas to proxmox again (second node with 4k zvol pool instead of the 8k of the previous server from which backup is taken at first place, but again with 10gbe connection I m having below warnings

restore msg.jpg

and after completion

restore_2.jpg
I believe above messages are normal taking into consideration the difference of the zvols between two servers right?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!