Backup server future features

Pinochet

May 16, 2022
I'm playing with the backup server...pretty dam slick guys. I'm used to r1soft and have a few questions.

1. Will the backup server have the option to mount a remote share such as zfs over iscsi. I was going to build a truenas server for other servers but it would be nice to export a lun to proxmox host and not have the proxmox host have to have a ton of drives. Saves me money. In a data center they generally have large professional SAN/s like EMC. So could be buy a lun from them and then attach to the backup server? If any of this is possible it would be nice to see this via the gui. The DC I'm familiar with they offer iscsi luns and nfs shares.

2. A way to backup the Proxmox server itself? Number 4 would be helpful...a bare metal restore with pxe boot.

3. File level backup and restore, if a file or two gets corrupted just update those files; or say a database table gets corrupted we can restore that table and not the whole db. This would be awesome for containers...lxc and docker

4. Any plans to support bare metal servers with different OS? If you have your network segregated so the backup network is separate it would be cool to have pxe boot as an option for both vm/s and any remote clents to restore.

Last edited:
1. Will the backup server have the option to mount a remote share such as zfs over iscsi. I was going to build a truenas server for other servers but it would be nice to export a lun to proxmox host and not have the proxmox host have to have a ton of drives. Saves me money. In a data center they generally have large professional SAN/s like EMC. So could be buy a lun from them and then attach to the backup server? If any of this is possible it would be nice to see this via the gui. The DC I'm familiar with they offer iscsi luns and nfs shares.
Using local disks is usually much cheaper than those "professional SAN/s". It is also much faster. But its all up to you. The backup server is based on Debian Linux, so you can use any network storage (cifs, nfs, iscsi).

2. A way to backup the Proxmox server itself? Number 4 would be helpful...a bare metal restore with pxe boot.
You can backup the server config.
3. File level backup and restore, if a file or two gets corrupted just update those files; or say a database table gets corrupted we can restore that table and not the whole db. This would be awesome for containers...lxc and docker
We already have file level backup and restore features.
4. Any plans to support bare metal servers with different OS? If you have your network segregated so the backup network is separate it would be cool to have pxe boot as an option for both vm/s and any remote clents to restore.
What kind of OS exactly?

What kind of OS exactly?

Windows, linux maybe mac or bsd? We see mostly windows and linux in our shop. R1soft is kinda cool in the fact that you can image the whole server and if something catastrophic happens you can just pxe boot another server and restore the image. I've seen other people that run vm/s in esxi use this to where a vm got corrupted and the snapshots to so they switched over the network for the vm to a pxe network and booted and restored the whole image. One the server is backup just switch the network back to say the "production" network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!