Backup Server compatibility between versions.

Darkk

Sep 2, 2019
At work we're still using 7.4-17 and PBS v2 as they are both very stable. Eventually I want to upgrade both to newest versions. But the upgrades are going to be slow in phases as I have three clusters all running the same version. I have a test and dev clusters I can use a test bed to upgrade to version 8.1.

Question is should I go ahead and upgrade all PBS to version 3 while I work on upgrading PVEs to 8.1 or do the PVE upgrades first? PVE versions are gonna be a mixed of 7.4-17 and 8.1 so don't know now reliable the backups are going to be when it comes time to restore the VMs. From the PBS FAQs I've read the compatibility between versions are best effort.

I've upgraded my PBS and small home lab cluster at home without issues as I did the upgrades all on the same day.

Thoughts?

I asked the same question at https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pbs-2-x-vm-restore-to-pve-8.142262/#post-638181

So, it should work.

As an extra precaution, I plan on backing up the VMs to external HD.
Thank you for the link. I've followed through the other links as well and seems I can go ahead and upgrade the PBS from version 2 to 3 while I work on upgrading the PVE from 7 to 8 whenever I can.

I will test this scenario on my secondary cluster and backup server to make sure it works fine which I'm sure it will.

Thank you for the link. I've followed through the other links as well and seems I can go ahead and upgrade the PBS from version 2 to 3 while I work on upgrading the PVE from 7 to 8 whenever I can.

I will test this scenario on my secondary cluster and backup server to make sure it works fine which I'm sure it will.
Please post to confirm that PBS 3 can backup PVE 7 hosts. If that is that is the case, I'll go that route.

Please post to confirm that PBS 3 can backup PVE 7 hosts. If that is that is the case, I'll go that route.

So far I didn't have any issues running PBS 3 against PVE 7 servers. I was able to restore really old backups from PBS 3 to PVE 7. Also did new backups to PBS 3. It did created new dirty bitmap which is expected. My next thing is checking the remote sync jobs between PBS 2 and PBS 3. I don't expect any issues with that either as it's based on ZFS replication and snapshots.

Was able to stand up a PBS 3 instance and it was able to backup PVE 7 hosts.

It was the same using an existing PBS 2 instance to backup PVE 8 hosts.

So, no issues using PBS2/3 on PVE7/8.

Last edited:
Was able to stand up a PBS 3 instance and it was able to backup PVE 7 hosts.

It was the same using an existing PBS 2 instance to backup PVE 8 hosts.

So no issues using PBS2/3 on PVE7/8.

Yep. Same here. Everything is working as expected. Awesome work by the ProxMox devs!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!