Backup PVE root (ZFS)?

virtualbitz

Nov 6, 2020
This may be a noob question, but is it possible to backup the root of a PVE server (root is on ZFS)? Would that even be a good idea? Could such a backup even be restored properly? The only reason I ask is that I host file shares from a bare metal PVE server (separate zpool) and would like to back some of the data related to samba and kerberos that live on the root of the PVE box. It's a single host config, so if the host was completely lost I would like to be able to procure a new box and restore everything like nothing happened. Is this feasible or is there a better way to go about this? I plan on setting up ZFS replication in the future but need to migrate another box to PVE / ZFS first.

Yes that is possible. Make sure you don't run PBS as a VM on the same PVE though ;) might get tricky when PVE dies and you can't restore.

Yea of course

What directory would I specify to back up? I'm a little fuzy on what, if any directories I need to specify to exclude. The way ZFS mounts everything on boot is a little abstract for my knowledge level at the moment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!