Backup Proxmox system configuration on a NAS

josonet

New Member
Aug 3, 2024
1
0
1
Hello
We have the latest version of Proxmox
We have programmed the backups to be made on an external NAS, but I only see that Proxmox only allows the machines to be copied
I don't see if it is possible to make a copy of the Proxmox configurations
If Proxmox or the disk fails, to reinstall and then recover the copy with its configuration
I have seen the Tuxis system on the forum, but it is on their servers,
and I am looking to be able to make the copy in the same location that I have on several local NAS

Is it possible
Thank you very much
 
Are you looking for a feature like a VMware Host Profile, where you can backup the PVE system config and quickly restore it?

So far in my experience, rebuilding a PVE server is an adventure fraught with pvecm SSH bugs. Much of the configuration lives in shared storage, and you might think it would be easy to rebuild a box, rejoin the cluster, and re-assume the configs. I've seen reference to 3rd-party tools that can do this for you, but I don't know of a native PVE tool that will.

If I've misunderstood your question, try explaining what you want a bit more fully.
 
Last edited:
Are you familiar with Relax-and-Recover (ReaR).
This is very powerfull tool and is useful for any Linux system.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: tcabernoch
This Relax-and-Recover thing is interesting.
https://relax-and-recover.org/

I haven't tried it yet. Boy their website makes it look _reeeeally_ simple.

I want to understand if this answers OP's question, because I certainly have the same needs.
How useful would ReaR be for backup/restore of a PVE server's config?
Would it allow you to do stuff like drop in a different server to fill the role and name of one that's failed without mucking about with cluster membership? Boy that would be freakin nice.

I need the details. What does ReaR actually backup and restore?
I'm lookin at the web page. There's a lot of claims. Sounds promising.
I'm (re)building servers. Haven't had much time to play recently. :[ Maybe later.
 
Last edited:
Well, Schlomo has all the details here. As conference stuff goes, this was much more worth watching than most. Really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6vk5DfzAk
He dives from the sales pitch all the way down into the gritty bits and back up to the free software guilt trip to close it out.
I don't see ZFS support. It's also not DEB-native. (Not true!) Gonna have to testlab this ReaR thing and see how it goes.


================
Somebody found ZFS restore workarounds.
This is essentially the workflow I had in mind anyway. I want to edit ZFS myself before a restore.

https://relax-and-recover.org/rear-user-guide/issues/2021-02-04.2563.issue.closed.html
jagauthier commented at 2021-03-08 18:43:
Okay, I've figured out how to accomplish this during a recovery.
After the disk confirm script, everything will be mounted on /mnt/local
Get into a rear shell and create the ZFS pools and filesystems.
Then set the ZFS mount point like so:
zfs set mountpoint=/mnt/local/zpool/fs zpool/fs
When you restore, they will go to the correct place.
When done, set the mountpoint back to the default:
zfs set mountpoint=/zpool/fs zpool/fs
 
Last edited:
I've not been able to get ReaR to work yet.
It installs, but seems to be missing dependencies that i've been unable to resolve.
It's a small project. They haven't released a Deb 12 version yet.
There is much discussion, but its unclear if anybody has a solution.
@konradwo have you gotten ReaR to work with Proxmox?

​

 
I've not been able to get ReaR to work yet.
It installs, but seems to be missing dependencies that i've been unable to resolve.
It's a small project. They haven't released a Deb 12 version yet.
There is much discussion, but its unclear if anybody has a solution.
@konradwo have you gotten ReaR to work with Proxmox?

​

yes. it works fine :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: tcabernoch
Really? Dang. Boy it looked like a great answer. I can't get it to run on PVE 8. I tried their download version. The disks won't finish building.
I dunno, I sunk too much time into it already. If I had a lead on where I went wrong, I'd pick it back up.
Check if You have a file:

ls -la /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libsystemd-core.conf


if not:

echo "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/systemd" > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libsystemd-core.conf

ldconfig

and check dependency:

ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/systemd/libsystemd-core-252.so
 
Thank you very much.
I tried this in my homelab. I think I still have all the pieces laying there. I'll pick it back up soon.
I want it to work and then use it for backing up my clusters, when I have to wipe a box, etc. This looks like the cleanest answer I've found.