Backup Proxmox system configuration on a NAS

josonet

Aug 3, 2024
Hello
We have the latest version of Proxmox
We have programmed the backups to be made on an external NAS, but I only see that Proxmox only allows the machines to be copied
I don't see if it is possible to make a copy of the Proxmox configurations
If Proxmox or the disk fails, to reinstall and then recover the copy with its configuration
I have seen the Tuxis system on the forum, but it is on their servers,
and I am looking to be able to make the copy in the same location that I have on several local NAS

Is it possible
Thank you very much

Are you looking for a feature like a VMware Host Profile, where you can backup the PVE system config and quickly restore it?

So far in my experience, rebuilding a PVE server is an adventure fraught with pvecm SSH bugs. Much of the configuration lives in shared storage, and you might think it would be easy to rebuild a box, rejoin the cluster, and re-assume the configs. I've seen reference to 3rd-party tools that can do this for you, but I don't know of a native PVE tool that will.

If I've misunderstood your question, try explaining what you want a bit more fully.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with Relax-and-Recover (ReaR).
This is very powerfull tool and is useful for any Linux system.

Last edited:
Reactions: tcabernoch
This Relax-and-Recover thing is interesting.
https://relax-and-recover.org/

I haven't tried it yet. Boy their website makes it look _reeeeally_ simple.

I want to understand if this answers OP's question, because I certainly have the same needs.
How useful would ReaR be for backup/restore of a PVE server's config?
Would it allow you to do stuff like drop in a different server to fill the role and name of one that's failed without mucking about with cluster membership? Boy that would be freakin nice.

I need the details. What does ReaR actually backup and restore?
I'm lookin at the web page. There's a lot of claims. Sounds promising.
I'm (re)building servers. Haven't had much time to play recently. :[ Maybe later.

Last edited:
Well, Schlomo has all the details here. As conference stuff goes, this was much more worth watching than most. Really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6vk5DfzAk
He dives from the sales pitch all the way down into the gritty bits and back up to the free software guilt trip to close it out.
I don't see ZFS support. It's also not DEB-native. (Not true!) Gonna have to testlab this ReaR thing and see how it goes.

================
Somebody found ZFS restore workarounds.
This is essentially the workflow I had in mind anyway. I want to edit ZFS myself before a restore.

https://relax-and-recover.org/rear-user-guide/issues/2021-02-04.2563.issue.closed.html
jagauthier commented at 2021-03-08 18:43:
Okay, I've figured out how to accomplish this during a recovery.
After the disk confirm script, everything will be mounted on /mnt/local
Get into a rear shell and create the ZFS pools and filesystems.
Then set the ZFS mount point like so:
zfs set mountpoint=/mnt/local/zpool/fs zpool/fs
When you restore, they will go to the correct place.
When done, set the mountpoint back to the default:
zfs set mountpoint=/zpool/fs zpool/fs

Last edited:
I've not been able to get ReaR to work yet.
It installs, but seems to be missing dependencies that i've been unable to resolve.
It's a small project. They haven't released a Deb 12 version yet.
There is much discussion, but its unclear if anybody has a solution.
@konradwo have you gotten ReaR to work with Proxmox?

I've not been able to get ReaR to work yet.
It installs, but seems to be missing dependencies that i've been unable to resolve.
It's a small project. They haven't released a Deb 12 version yet.
There is much discussion, but its unclear if anybody has a solution.
@konradwo have you gotten ReaR to work with Proxmox?

yes. it works fine :)

Reactions: tcabernoch
Really? Dang. Boy it looked like a great answer. I can't get it to run on PVE 8. I tried their download version. The disks won't finish building.
I dunno, I sunk too much time into it already. If I had a lead on where I went wrong, I'd pick it back up.

Really? Dang. Boy it looked like a great answer. I can't get it to run on PVE 8. I tried their download version. The disks won't finish building.
I dunno, I sunk too much time into it already. If I had a lead on where I went wrong, I'd pick it back up.
Check if You have a file:

ls -la /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libsystemd-core.conf

if not:

echo "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/systemd" > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libsystemd-core.conf

ldconfig

and check dependency:

ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/systemd/libsystemd-core-252.so

Thank you very much.
I tried this in my homelab. I think I still have all the pieces laying there. I'll pick it back up soon.
I want it to work and then use it for backing up my clusters, when I have to wipe a box, etc. This looks like the cleanest answer I've found.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!