[SOLVED] Backup PBS backups to Cloud

YaseenKamala

Feb 2, 2021
Paris
Hello there,

Hope you all are doing well,

I am wondering if anyone of you used a cloud solution to backup the backed up VMs from PBS to an external backup solution?

Thanks in advance for your help as usual.

Best regards,
KAMALA

Hi there!

Question is, what does cloud mean to you? If you have your own servers you could install a PBS instance there and sync the datastore from your on-premises installation(s) with the sync functionality built into PBS.

Regards

Reactions: YaseenKamala
Hi @bockhold ,

I wanted to know how to externalize a copy of my backups to another server. Let say Ill have a server hosted with OVH is it possible to duplicate of my backups there?
If yes, may I know how this could be done?

Kind regards,
Yaseen

Is Proxmox Backup Server installed on the machine at OVH? If so you can use the "sync" feature (located as a tab at every datatstore) of PBS to copy (better: pull) your local backups to the remote machine.

No, the PBS is a VM (on premises) which backs up the other VMs to a SYNOLOGY NAS over the network locally. for more security I want backup a copy of my backups/all to an external backup solution or a server as I said in previous message which is hosted with OVH as an example.

1643902533223.png

If I go with a remote hosted server with OVH how can I add it into Source Remote? sorry may be it's our of ProxMox but I am wondering what I have to look into to be able to get this done some how?

Thank you so much for your help @bockhold

Last edited:
You're welcome.

The sync feature built into PBS works only if there is a second PBS on your remote site. If you have "just a normal server" there you could think about syncing your datastore via rsync. Or - if the connection is fast and reliable - you could mount a remote filesystem into your local PBS.

Besides: your screenshot shows it "the wrong way around". As I wrote earlier you pull the backups from the local server, that is on the remote server you want the backups copied to you configure the sync functionality and it pulls the data from your local machine.

Last edited:
Indeed it is possible to mount a remote filesystem and sync the datastore with the backups

What I did was:
first make a SMB cifs mount point on PBS
than add the datastore of this mount point in PBS
in the SYNC part I added the IP of the PBS and the location of the normal source datastore
the only thing what was a challenge was that the user needed to be backup:backup otherwise the sync did not go well
from there you can upload teh stuff further if needed.

No, the PBS is a VM (on premises) which backs up the other VMs to a SYNOLOGY NAS over the network locally. for more security I want backup a copy of my backups/all to an external backup solution or a server as I said in previous message which is hosted with OVH as an example.
As you're on a synology, use the apps there to remote copy the backups. there sure is an app that enables cloud or remote backup of content, so all you have to do is find out when the backup is done and start the copy job afterwards.

Reactions: YaseenKamala
You're welcome.

The sync feature built into PBS works only if there is a second PBS on your remote site. If you have "just a normal server" there you could think about syncing your datastore via rsync. Or - if the connection is fast and reliable - you could mount a remote filesystem into your local PBS.

Besides: your screenshot shows it "the wrong way around". As I wrote earlier you pull the backups from the local server, that is on the remote server you want the backups copied to you configure the sync functionality and it pulls the data from your local machine.
Curious as to which rsync options you'd recommend?
Right now, I have a local PBS server that gets synced to a remote PBS server with an external drive. For safety measures I have been running a
/usr/bin/rsync -aHxPz --delete-after in the crontab to back it up to a Synology nfs server. I guess a cloud version using Cloud Sync could work too but it's quite sizeable now.

Curious as to which rsync options you'd recommend?
Right now, I have a local PBS server that gets synced to a remote PBS server with an external drive. For safety measures I have been running a
/usr/bin/rsync -aHxPz --delete-after in the crontab to back it up to a Synology nfs server. I guess a cloud version using Cloud Sync could work too but it's quite sizeable now.

My actual data size is about 6 Tb, I use Cloud Sync. all is good which sync. my PBS to GCS, however the initial data size was 2.5Tb

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!