Backup of PVE servers apart from VMs and containers

SoporteIB

Dec 14, 2018
Hello,
I already have the entire installation done with PBS and backing up the virtual machines and containers, but I have a question: Is it possible to back up the PVE servers themselves in PBS or separately? By GUI or Terminal ?
Best regards.

Reactions: SoporteIB
If the PVE you're backing up is being backed up by a PBS running under that same PVE, you might want to think that through again. You didn't mention whether you are doing this, so I thought I'd bring it up, just in case. I am doing this. I don't use the GUI. Instead, I use rsync in the server shell to back up all the root directories that I'm interested in (especially /etc and /var).

Si el PVE del que está realizando una copia de seguridad está respaldado por un PBS que se ejecuta bajo ese mismo PVE, es posible que desee pensarlo de nuevo. No mencionaste si estás haciendo esto, así que pensé en mencionarlo, por si acaso. Yo estoy haciendo esto. No uso la GUI. En su lugar, uso rsync en el shell del servidor para hacer una copia de seguridad de todos los directorios raíz que me interesan (especialmente /etc y /var).
No, PBS is on a separate physical server.

The PVE hosts can be backed up using the proxmox-backup-client

Code:
proxmox-backup-client backup root.pxar:/ --repository backup-server:store1

For more info see the backup client documentation:
https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#creating-backups
Done thank you.

It's also possible to install Debian to a USB stick, boot that and then use the proxmox-backup-client on that Debian to backup the whole system disk on block level. That way you could just restore the whole working disk. I documented this here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pbs-client-grub-and-just-backing-up-partitions.105990/post-568579

But would be really nice if PBS could come with a bootable image you could write to a USB stick that would offer a UI for backing up and restoring hosts/disks/partitions. Great that there is a backup-client that allows you to write your own scripts to do this but my guess would be that not many people besides me would actually put so much work into it to backup a PVE host.

Last edited:
You could for example store the password in an environment variable like export PBS_PASSWORD="YourPass" && proxmox-backup-client ... >/dev/null 2>&1

But not that great if you want to keep your password private.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!