Backup of larger VM, second sync takes too long time

postcd

Sep 16, 2013
Hello,i have one VM which vzdump-X.tgz file is around 100GB large, when creating dump file using "vzdump", the second sync (while VPS is suspended (i use --live mode)) takes more than 20 minutes which is becoming not acceptable.VM do not contains large files, but rather more small files.Im having 7000rpm HDD, CentOS release 6.6 (Final), openvz kernel: 2.6.32-042stab093.5please can You share ideas on how to backup that VM while minimizing its downtime signifficantly? (im noob)Thank you Update: im afraid i recently did another vzdump on that VPS (now with only --compress so VPS was not suspended) so it appears it overwritten any previous vzdump log of that VPS (/var/log/vzdump/VMID.log)

Last edited:
Hi Postcd,

Does your current setup now allow to use LVM2 for backing up? LVM2 is zero-downtime.

If not, it think the reason why your system is down for sow long, is that it needs to recalculate how many files needs to be checked (especially for VMs with a lot of files in the journal).

Please provide some VZdump logs, so we can check.

Regards,
MeyRNL

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!