backup in suspend mode seems never finished

chudak

May 11, 2019
Hello,

It use to work for a long time and today I saw my backup hanging forever.
Tried running backup manually and it did not finish again.
Only applicable to a CT, all VMs backed up normally and only for the suspend mode, the stop mode works fine.

Here is the log:

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 1000 --remove 0 --storage VMs_backups --mode snapshot --compress zstd --node pve
INFO: filesystem type on dumpdir is 'cifs' -using /var/tmp/vzdumptmp3050_1000 for temporary files
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 1000 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2021-12-16 06:10:22
INFO: status = running
INFO: CT Name: emby-vm
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: mode failure - some volumes do not support snapshots
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: CT Name: emby-vm
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: starting first sync /proc/1734/root/ to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp3050_1000
INFO: first sync finished - transferred 14.30G bytes in 64s
INFO: suspending guest
INFO: starting final sync /proc/1734/root/ to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp3050_1000
INFO: resume vm
INFO: guest is online again after 158 seconds

any clues?

Why are you using the suspend mode? I just read yesterday in the documentation that suspend is just there for compability reasons and its recommended to use snapshot mode instead.

So I was just curious why you prefer the suspend mode.

Why are you using the suspend mode? I just read yesterday in the documentation that suspend is just there for compability reasons and its recommended to use snapshot mode instead.

So I was just curious why you prefer the suspend mode.

No clue :(
I guess I read it somewhere during the initial setup.

What mode should I use?

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Backup_and_Restore#_backup_modes

So for best data integrity but big downtime "stop" and for less data integrity but short downtime "snapshot". I use "snapshot" for daily backups and "stop" for weekly and manual backups.

But the question still remains why the suspend mode isn't working.

Thanks for the link
But the issue is that two out of three backup modes are not working for CTs, so I suspect this is a regression and hope Proxmox guys will look and confirm or reply soon.

Reactions: ColeTrain
What mode should I use?
If your LXC is not a thin LV, I believe you only have 2 options for backups: 'Stop' mode if you can afford an extended downtime with your LXC, or 'Suspend' mode if you just want no more than a few minutes of downtime.

By the way, in my case, the 'Suspend' mode backup is taking about 80% longer to complete compared to 'Stop' and 'Snapshot' modes.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!