backup image mapping is read-only / vgimportclone not possible

antubis

Apr 20, 2012
hello,

i just tested your new proxmox-backup-server. dispite of the imho quite uncommon concept of decentralized backup management I need to be able to recover single files from a PVE vm backup image.
i tried mapping the image with proxmox-backup-client which works in general. however, if I map the disk into the source vm and a lvm is configured I have to resolv the double lvm names and ids with vgimportclone - which apparently needs write access.

can you either make the image writable (maybe a not good idea for backups) or do some kind of overlayfs to grant temp write access (without actual writing) to the images?

thanks a lot so far for your great products
antubis

Last edited:
you can actually already do that, just add 'snapshot=1' to the disk line in the VM config, and Qemu will buffer all writes in memory (and throw them away once the VM is shutdown). just make sure to not write more than your system can handle ;)

good to know, didn't try that as i didn't map the disk through pve.
i just mapped it directly into the vm with an installed proxmox-backup-client. some (fake) write capability would be nice here, too.

in that case something like dm-clone external LVM thin snapshots should work (haven't tried it yet though).

edit: replaced dm-clone (which would a ctually transfer the full archive over time) with external LVM thin snapshots, which provide the semantic you want.

Last edited:
hello,

i just tested your new proxmox-backup-server. dispite of the imho quite uncommon concept of decentralized backup management I need to be able to recover single files from a PVE vm backup image.
i tried mapping the image with proxmox-backup-client which works in general. however, if I map the disk into the source vm and a lvm is configured I have to resolv the double lvm names and ids with vgimportclone - which apparently needs write access.

can you either make the image writable (maybe a not good idea for backups) or do some kind of overlayfs to grant temp write access (without actual writing) to the images?

thanks a lot so far for your great products
antubis
Could you please try this and give us a feedback: HowTo restore a single file from Proxmox Backup Server (PBS)?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!