Backup fails to create RBD snapshot

aarononeal

Jan 4, 2022
Using the "Backup Now" button on an unconfined LXC container with RBD root disk, the task hangs forever waiting on a snapshot to be created.

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 753 --mode snapshot --node node01 --compress zstd --storage cephfs_storage --remove 0
INFO: filesystem type on dumpdir is 'ceph' -using /var/tmp/vzdumptmp3365968_753 for temporary files
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 753 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2022-01-25 08:54:41
INFO: status = running
INFO: CT Name: container753
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: excluding bind mount point mp0 ('/usr/lib/modules') from backup (not a volume)
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: create storage snapshot 'vzdump'

Stopping the task results in the following.

fsthaw '/proc/3338000/root//' failed - Invalid argument
interrupted by signal
snapshot create failed: starting cleanup
trying to acquire lock...
OK
no lock found trying to remove 'backup' lock
ERROR: Backup of VM 753 failed - interrupted by signal
INFO: Failed at 2022-01-25 08:55:11
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

I can use `rbd snap create` from the terminal and the snap of the image is taken in seconds.

Shutting down the VM takes a successful backup, but that's because it's not using the snapshot feature.

How can I troubleshoot?

Last edited:
I have determined backup works until I install snapd inside the container.

apt install libsquashfuse0 squashfuse fuse snapd

I don't know yet why it hangs the backup process.

Thanks @Fabian_E. So, many Linux installs these days rely on snap, which relies on fuse. Sounds like you're saying Proxmox just won't be able to backup Canonical containers.

Using stop mode backups should be a workaround, but yes, the real solution would be to get fsfreeze and fuse to interact nicely.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!