[SOLVED] Backup failed with error, but why?

LooneyTunes

Jun 1, 2019
Hi,
Just noticed my nightly backup failed with this error
Code:
INFO: backup is sparse: 2.70 GiB (8%) total zero data
INFO: transferred 32.00 GiB in 7354 seconds (4.5 MiB/s)
zstd: /*stdout*\: Host is down
Warning: unable to close filehandle GEN91 properly: Bad file descriptor at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/QemuServer.pm line 770.
ERROR: Backup of VM 100 failed - zstd --rsyncable --threads=1 failed - wrong exit status 1
INFO: Failed at 2022-08-09 03:33:01
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 101 (qemu)
What may this mean, and what can I do please? This only happened to one of several backups taken which makes it a bit peculiar...

running
- latest stable proxmox: (pve-manager/7.2-7/d0dd0e85 (running kernel: 5.15.39-3-pve))
- backup destination is a NAS...

Edit:
A manually triggered backup worked fine just now, so would this possibly be related to the NAS and not PVE? Just grasping for some place to start digging for a cause, all I really want is a rock stable env... :)

Thanks

Last edited:
hi,

- backup destination is a NAS...
zstd: /*stdout*\: Host is down
that's the problem. your NAS was not accessible at the time of the backup (as you guessed in your later edit)

you could check the logs on your NAS and also on your PVE to further narrow down why that was the case

Reactions: LooneyTunes
Thanks, will see if there are anything interesting in the logs, if not at least I know where to look next time. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!