Backup error

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

so I have a four node PVE cluster (the fourth node for experiments only and is offline most of the time so that a quorum is maintained).

I just installed a new PBS and wanted to backup one of the VMs to it.

But when I start the backup, I get this error:

While this is true - this fourth node is offline - the VM I want to backup is not on this node.

In the backup settings, I did specify that I want to backup from all nodes.

Of course, I could specify that I only want to backup from the one node on which the VM resides. BUT: what, if the VM is migrated to another node (because the one node goes down and the VM is set for HA)? Then the backup would fail as well, right? And I can't specify that I want to backup from all nodes except the one that is offline most of the time.

I do get that it is a problem if I want to make a backup of a VM and the VM is on a node that is offline. That's obvious. What is not obvious to me is why it should be a problem, if I want to make a backup of a VM and some other node is offline that has nothing to do with the VM.

So what is the best approach here?

Thanks!

Hi,
what is the output of pveversion -v? For me (running Proxmox VE 7.2), the backup job only executes on the node with the guest and completes successfully (EDIT: even when it's configured for all nodes of course).

proxmox-ve: 7.2-1

I imagine that the backup would only execute on the node with the guest but that some prior check (are all nodes online?) stops it in its track.

Ok, I think I see the issue now. It's not for a scheduled backup, but when you click the Run now button? The UI currently checks if all nodes are online, because it needs to send an API request to each of them. If the job uses a simple list of guests, we could check where the guests reside and only issue the request to those nodes, but it's additional complexity for little gain. That said, the backup should still be executed on the nodes with the guests, even if a node is offline.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!