[SOLVED] Backup error for VMs in PVE 6.2-6

Tacioandrade

Renowned Member
Sep 14, 2012
Vitória da Conquista, Brazil
Hello, I have in a pve 4 VMs running normally, being 2 Windows and 2 Linux. However I am facing a problem with the scheduled backup on 1 of the Linux VMs, the following error occurs:

INFO: status: 100% (493921239040/493921239040), sparse 52% (257875681280), duration 6701, read/write 540/0 MB/s
INFO: transferred 493921 MB in 6701 seconds (73 MB/s)
zstd: /*stdout*\: Input/output error
ERROR: Backup of VM 503 failed - zstd --rsyncable --threads=1 failed - wrong exit status 1
INFO: Failed at 2020-07-09 02:41:17

Apparently the backup runs successfully until the end, but when it completes it gives this error.

My storage is of the directory type in ext4 and disks in RAW and the backup is of the snapshot type.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

After some tests I discovered the problem! Despite appearing as 100% of the backup performed, it seems that Proxmox needs more free space to complete the compression and only after that delete the old backup.
When I put it in new storage, he ran the job again, after that I deleted some backups of the necessary VMs and the backup started running normally.
In this case, I found that to perform a backup of a 50GB data VM, you need at least 70GB free or more, at least here in my tests. It is now functioning normally.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!