Backup and Restore of a RAW disk with Preallocation=full

VDNKH

Aug 8, 2016
Hello everyone!!! I have a raw disk image in one of my VMs with preallocation=full, i can do backups without any problem, but when i do a restore the raw disk of the VM return to defaults, and loss the preallocation=full, i can fix that? there is some way to do that?

The disk size is 150G preallocation=full, raw. Its FIXED.
When i do a restore, the image size is the used space. Minor than 150G

the preallocation parameter is set to "metadata" when restoring and currently there is no way to change that.
may i ask why do you need that?

Reactions: VDNKH
Thanks for the answer! :)
I need that for a better performance in Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016, according to my research of the Microsoft recommendations for the Vms.

Or what do you recommend me?

Last edited:
I have a SQL server in my PROXMOX and i made a raw disk image with preallocation=full for each component. DATABASE, BACKUP, SWAP and LOGS

I need that for a better performance in Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016, according to my research of the Microsoft recommendations for the Vms.
i don't think it makes a huge performance difference (except your storage is very full),
but you could try lvm (not lvm-thin), which just maps blocks on the disk without a file system in between.

Reactions: VDNKH

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!