Backing up a UnprivilegedLXC?

dragon2611

Renowned Member
Jul 2, 2010
Need some recommendations for backing up an Unprivileged LXC container that's on an Iscsi LVM and managed by HA manager to an target that's an NFS share.

Snapshot fails because of permissions issues, Stop doesn't want to work either because vzdump won't auto stop a VM managed by HA.

The common recommendation seems to be to set a TMP directory but that's not really an option either as the servers themselves only have small SSD's to hold proxmox on so they don't have enough local storage for that.

I'm thinking I might have to write a script to call the stop command against the VM run the vzdump then call the start command again (I don't mind it going down overnight for a backup, the HA is just incase a node dies during the day)

Snapshot fails because of permissions issues

What kind of permission issues? Can you be a bit more specific?

Stop doesn't want to work either because vzdump won't auto stop a VM managed by HA.

You can do '--mode suspend' in vzdump instead of '--mode stop' and it should work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!