[SOLVED] Awful lag during Proxmox installation

Alecz

Mar 12, 2024
I am attempting to install Proxmox (for the 2nd time) from a Ventoy USB Flash Drive on a Dell T610 server with 24G Ram.

After select the Flash Drive at the boot menu and choose the Proxmox ISO, I get the option to choose the boot mode : Grub, Grub2, etc.

I select either of them and choose Console install (the Graphics on this server is really bad). At first it works well, but then it starts to lag, so I press a key and nothing happens, then I press it again, and it executes twice. I can bear with this for most of the menu, but it's impossible to set a root password.
When i type my (8-char) password, I see it echoed as more than 20 char. When I try to type an email, every letter I type is repeated multiple times.

I don't remember having this issue before and the only difference is that I am now installing on internal SATA instead of on a SATA via a USB3 interface, but I don't even get to start the installation.

So what could be causing this kind of lag during the install wizard?

Thanks, I briefly tried with another USB stick - same issue, didn't investigate much.

Occasionally, even with Ventoy it worked great, but it was a hit and miss, never figured out what triggered it.

I ended up just installing in Graphical mode, that works much better than I anticipated. Too bad I also need a mouse in my cramped environment

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!