AVX2 and AVX flags on VM

millzee

Apr 18, 2021
Hi,
i am trying to do a POC and get tensorflow server servicing client requests using a ubuntu vm with cpu setup.

if i do "cat /proc/cpuinfo" then on my vm, i dont see the avx ir avx2 flags.

Is there a setting I am missing when create the vm in proxmox?

Thanks Ramalama,
should there be an option for this in advance options? i'm on 6.2-15

also, is it good practice to use host? are there any potential dangers doing it like this?

no, tbh, i think almost everyone uses "host" here.
There are downsides if you do "live" migrations between 2 proxmox hosts, if the cpu on host 1 is completely different as on host 2.

in any other case, use simply "host".

Reactions: hacmieu and alebeta
OMG. I was trying to run some tensorflow code in docker on a VM this morning. Was getting Illegal instruction (core dumped). Lots of googling, came to the avx instruction set missing conclusion. Didn't think it would be possible, but changing the processor type to host worked. Thank you @Ramalama !!!

Reactions: lixaotec
OMG. I was trying to run some tensorflow code in docker on a VM this morning. Was getting Illegal instruction (core dumped). Lots of googling, came to the avx instruction set missing conclusion. Didn't think it would be possible, but changing the processor type to host worked. Thank you @Ramalama !!!
Hello Can you please specify the linux commands you used to achieve this :
PS : I am on Ubuntu VM 20.04
Thanks a lot !

Changing CPU type from kvm64 to host you can do using the webUI under the VMs hardware tab.

Reactions: Damonz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!