Automatic turn off disks, is it possible?

Booty

Oct 27, 2019
Hello everyone.
I know that what I am about to ask you is absurd and normally senseless, but it would be useful to me. Is it possible to set the automatic shutdown for one or more disks after a certain period of inactivity? surely the answer will be no but I try to ask for it anyway.
Thank you all

Thanks for the reply.
So in theory with this script, does the disk / s turn off automatically after a certain period of inactivity? In retrospect, however, a doubt arose: the virtual machine to which the disk is connected, will perceive the disconnection of the disk as if I had brutally removed it; I would not want mistakes to accumulate. What do you think about it?
Thank you.

a doubt arose: the virtual machine to which the disk is connected, will perceive the disconnection of the disk as if I had brutally removed it; I would not want mistakes to accumulate.

No, that normally does not happen, as soon as there's any IO going to or from the spinned-down disk it will be woken up by that, spin-up and server the request. Only thing what naturally happens is that those first requests on a spinned-down disk will take longer, as they need to wait until the disk is ready again - so you can have some latency spikes.

Also, Proxmox VE periodically polls some disks for statistics, usage, .. so they can be woken up by that too.

Reactions: Booty
Thank you all for the answers.
I knew the talk about damaging the disc if it is turned on and off continuously but I wanted to try the same. However, I decided to leave everything on. Thank you all.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!