Automatic backup from one PVE to another, on another hosting

sovkutsan

Oct 13, 2024
Hello everyone! :)

I have been working in IT for many years (18), but I encountered Proxmox for the first time recently, at a new job. Everything seems clear there, but there is one problem. (It is in the title of the topic).

I tried to solve it myself, I spent a week studying everything that is on the Internet, googled dozens of articles, found something similar, but I apparently lack a little detail in my knowledge.

I think this is an easy task, but I just lack a little understanding of something.

Sorry for my bad English.

Our company uses two different hosting providers.

A different Proxmox works on both (I will write PVE from now on)

The first PVE - 8.1.4 currently has 12 virtual machines (VM)
The second PVE - 8.2.2 их всего 4, но свободного места много - 300 ГБ. (Есть резервные копии всех 4 ВМ (.vma.zst))

There is one more nuance:

On both PVEs - the former admin created a VM for administering the network and server infrastructure for 4 VMs:

1) Windows Server 2019 - (he calls it - administrative panel, but there is only PfSense (web interface in the browser inside the VM - in WinServ2019)
2) Сам PfSense - для него есть виртуальная машина
3) dbmaster - Ubuntu 22.04.4 - (пароля для него нет)
4) apk - Ubuntu 22.04.4 - там на обоих PVE почему-то работает nginx
(но я не думаю, что это относится к моей задаче, возможно я ошибаюсь)

Sorry for such a long introduction, here’s the main question:

Мне нужно настроить автоматическое резервное копирование одной виртуальной машины из основного PVE - 8.1.4

74-1.png

Отсюда
(обратите внимание на IP-адрес):
(Все IP-адреса, конечно, немного изменены)

To Here, this is another hosting provider, in another part of the city.
5.49 -1.png

Of course, I went to Google, watched video instructions on YouTube, read various articles, and so on for about two weeks... I realized that I myself would not be able to do this. If I ask the former admin, I will be fired. Immediately.

Finally I found some video instruction with a similar or the same problem and saw that you only need to specify to one Proxmox the shz-address of the storage in another cloud, and the first Proxmox itself sees the path to the folder with backups (on the second Proxmox) after a couple of seconds of waiting.

1) I check if a backup storage has been created at address: 5.49.200.133
Storage.png

Storage111.png

2) I already started to think that everything would work out, I went into the first Proxmox 222.28.26.24 - I chose the VM I needed for backup

3) I selected the VM I needed (105) and stopped it to set up automatic backups

4) Next -> Datacenter -> Backup -> Add
Storage74-problem1.png

5) Then I decided to make backups of the VM I needed manually, I thought I could insert the IP address
of the remote storage in the manual backup creation options

6) I go to the list of VMs: Select (105) -> Stop -> Backup -> Backup Now....
Storage74-problem2.png

And The same problem (It only lets you choose from two storages, only on this machine) :confused::confused:

7) Then I decided to add another storage (remote storage): Datacenter -> Storage -> Add
(Now I understand that I should have immediately added remote storage, but I only realized this now, while writing the topic)

Storage74-problem3.png

8) Now I thought while I was pressing ZFS - everything will be fine, but.... This is not it

9) Then, completely desperate, I tried absolutely ALL possible storages, and only one was suitable - SMB/SIFS
Then, completely desperate, I tried absolutely ALL!!! possible storages, and only one worked - SMB/SIFS

Only there (SMB/SIFS) are there fields for input, IP - storage server address, and username, password...
pochti.png
For a very long time I couldn't figure out what to write in ID (no value was accepted) - "backup" - it worked
Then, I know the IP address for sure
login - root, password inserted
subdirectory - /mnt/pve/
But - damn domain!!! What is this anyway, I'm not setting up a DNS server!!! I entered it at random. Because I tried about 6 of them and all the domains worked... I tried all the company's domains, the hosting company's domain (The frame of the input field did not turn red)

When I clicked on the Share field - the search was spinning all the time, I probably tried 50 combinations this night, I've been making this topic for two days now...
Share - there was an empty red frame all the time

I got mad and entered the directory there myself (the remote directory for backups that I shared, as I wrote above)
As a result, I entered everything as you see in the picture, this is the last 10th picture (there is no more room in the topic)

The -> Add button turned blue and I clicked it..
create storage failed: storage ID "backup" already defined (500)

I don't know what to say, another night without sleep, I'll be fired, that's for sure, if I don't start making backups to this storage..

As far as I remember, there was a small window in the video instruction..
By the way, I reviewed them all (storage types)
NFS - It might be quite suitable, but I can't guess the ID there, and if it accepts the ID, then when I enter the server address, the remote storage does not appear, but I saw on YouTube somewhere that Shared is determined by itself, after entering other parameters.

In any case, I have no strength to even just sit, my head is not thinking, it's already 7 am.
This task has been hanging over me for 3 weeks or even a month, I googled, read, watched, tried, I am completely broken morally, all hope is on this forum.
If I don't do it, I will be fired...

Help who knows, share some information please.

I feel that I don't know only some small detail.
Google for the error 500 request - will give anything, but not in my case - ID "backup" already defined (500)
according to "already defined" there is nothing

Please someone help

Attachments

• 1729550790599.png
    1729550790599.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ZFS.png
    ZFS.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!